Friday, October 28, 2011

My First Trip to the Where House with Epic Ruins/ Star Death and White Dwarfs

Skeleton Coast all photos by John Obeidan

Confetti, Lasers, Fog, a guy in a Dinosaur suit? What is going on? Did I get dosed? Nope just watching my first show at the Where House. Last Friday Star Death and White Dwarfs visited us from Oklahoma, followed by local super group EPIC RUINS. Skeleton Coast opened, BUT I MISSED IT WAHH!( I was soo mad) The lead singer of Stardeath is Wayne Coyne's nephew so I was expecting a somewhat Flaming Lips inspired show. The music it self was very different from song to song at some points leaning into a harder sound and some points being more dancetastic ( yea that's a word what?) but each song was a nice little Psychedelic trip. Add a cutie patootie keyboardist and I was stoked as a whole. Thank the Lord my friend John Obeidin brought his sweet camera so I can relay some of his best pictures to you ( Thanks so much John).



Star Death and White Dwarfs

ditto


EPIC RUINS performed next. I started to get excited when the floor started shaking as the band warmed up. I refer to them as a Fort Worth super group because the band consists of members of several different local bands such Sam Anderson of Quaker City Night Hawks and Steve Steward of Darth Vato and now Oil Boom. I'm not sure of the details on how it works but it seems like the same members don't always play so I can only confirm those two at this show. Next time I'll investigate more thoroughly ( hope you guys are liking reading me limp through learning how to write this stuff up) Just know that it seemed like six dudes up there including a horn section. The show totally rocked, but people seemed to trickle in an out more than when Stardeath was playing. I guess they were just used to the awesomeness that is Fort Worth music. I know next time Epic Ruins plays I will be sure to check them out.

Epic Ruins

EPIC RUINS (just in case that all caps thing is how it's supposed to look)

 The whole experience seemed a little less like a rock show and more like that part in the episode of My So Called Life where she went to the party and a band was playing. There were spaces in the back to actually hang out and talk to your friends which is rare at most venues. Ryan Torres (of Skeleton Coast) said something to me to the effect of "Thanks for coming. I'm glad you got to be a part of the experience." So I guess it was an experience and I will soon be back. ( potentially tonight for they're Halloween party. Check out yesterday's blog for details)

Hey they even put a pic of me and my buddy LBC on the FB page (this photo is not by John)   


Other notable events this week that I just have to experience via my homies were St. Vincent at the Granada
and Deer Tick at Club Dada. Check out  rideincircles on facebook for John's footage of the Granada and Good Records and more pics from this show.  Apparently Deer Tick shows are where it's at if you want to meet some pretty ladies because everyone I knew that was going was one of my cute grrlfriends. So remember that next time they come in to town fellas. Allright peoples, next week I will tell you about my costume and whatever event I go to. I'm currently having to narrow it down to one and might have to bust out a columned list like I'm picking between two boyfriends. But I digress ttyl

No comments:

Post a Comment