Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Week in Pictures (sort of) October 13-18

So This week was pretty jam packed with events.  Last week at Central Market Kevin Aldridge played and then the Quaker City Night Hawks. I unfortunately missed most of Kevin Aldridge. Quaker City Night Hawks are a pretty awesome southern rock band. I've seen them get crowds dancing on several occassions. This time everyone was just chilling although my daughter did a few cartwheels and my son did this weird karate robot move he perfected. I did not know I was starting a blog this week so I don't have any pictures or permission from anyone to pilfer their pics so ummm here's a picture of a hawk



Friday I went for happy hour at Cafe Modern ( you know since walking from my desk to the restaurant is the shortest happy hour walk). If you ever want to go I'm usually working the cafe. $2.50 beers and $3.50-5.00 for wine plus half off apps. 

Saturday wasss the BESTTTTT. OK first off I went with the fam to this little joint in Burleson called The Pie Place. It just served basic cafe foods ( I had the Reuben my #1 fave sandwich of all time) For dessert they have a selection of several fresh made pies. ZOMG I had the dark fudge walnut and it was as glorious as it sounds.  

Later that night I headed to Dallas and did a quick ten minute walk around 500X in the Fair Park hood. They were doing their College Expo showing new works from college students in the DFW which was juried by Chris Worley and Eric Swenson.  Most of the work I saw was pretty amazing.



This is an example of Eric Swenson's work btw. He was the judge for the exhibit. His work isn't on display but hey, I needed a picture here.

Then I headed to the Dallas Observer Music Awards Showcase. In case you don't know the showcase involved 50 some odd bands playing at several venues in Deep Ellum. There was an epic lineup for the main stage of Sarah Jaffe, Centromatic, Old 97's, and the Toadies. I planned for this all week by making a highlighted list of bands I wanted to try to see. I was really hoping for a miracle to make time stop or rewind so I could see every band but it didn't happen. Bands I wanted to check out were: The Naptime Shake, Grant Jones & The Pistol Grips, The Singapore Slingers, Air Review, Bravo, Max!, New Fumes, Burning Hotels, New Science Project, Oil Boom, and Sealion.

The bands I did see were the Toadies, Mind Spiders, Oil Boom, Calhoun, Sealion, The Burning Hotels, Soviet, and Telegraph Canyon. Again I don't have pictures. Well I took some but they are pretty terrible so here's a picture of a Sealion. 


My favorites from the night were Sealion, Burning Hotels, and Soviet. Sealion I knew I was going to like because the Dallas Observer called them Dallas's version of Vampire Weekend. Although when they were playing it was more punk rock then I expected. There was moshing, a base was smashed. A guy in dinosaur suit rocked out. Burning Hotels were a dancerific good time. It was my first time seeing them since their record release at Lola's. Since then I had listened to the album 20 time so I knew all the words. Their show at Lola's was epic as well but the magic involved in seeing a band play songs you know all the words to is awesome times infinity.  Needless to say I danced my face off at that show. Or at least that's the point when I decided to stop wearing my shoes. Soviet was totally in your face rock n roll. By in your face I mean the lead singer challenged us to get up and dance Sooo I did. Here's the pics the Dallas Observer took. The very first one is the guy from Soviet being all up in the camera's face. Ended off the night at Cafe Brazil with some vegan migas and headed home satisfied.

The next night I headed over to Texas Theatre to participate in a talent show. Texas Theatre is the theatre where Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested. It has since been renovated and shows local and underground films. They also have other kinds of parties and events such as this talent show. As far as my night activities went I sang. Won 3rd place woot woot. The drinks were very reasonably priced btw. ( which helped when I needed the courage to sing). If you follow them on facebook you'll get updates on their special events.
This is the song I sang ( it didn't sound this awesome)


On Tuesday I went to the State Fair of Texas for the second time ever in the 22 years I've lived in Texas. It was the first time I've gone with money to do anything.I did all the typical fair stuff: I ate a fried smore( sooo good), I rode the Texas Star, I fed some goats , and I PETTED A ZEBRAAAAAAAAAA!!! (That was definitely my favoritest part if you can't tell by the all caps) It was a good time. Anyhoo here's some pics.


Predictable Texas Star Photo
My son looking pensive
View from the Texas Star Ferris wheel

Phew, well that's everything My gosh I did a lot. Next week I'll tell you all about my favorite bar and the show at The Where House and whatever else I end up doing. Send me pics and tell me what you did here shastinalynn@gmail.com. TTFN!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment