Thursday, October 20, 2011

This Week Continued

Ok First off if you read what I wrote about FunFunFunFest please note it's in like two weeks so aren't you glad I told you about it in advance. Yeaaa Ok let's move on.


On Friday I am hopefully going to the Where house to see Epic Ruins, Stardeath and White Dwarfs, and one of my personal favorites Skeleton Coast ( please note I promise to learn how to describe bands in ways other than I like them/they're awesome/ they rule etc. a.s.a.p) This show is going to be so cool there's even a trailer for it. Apparently a certain Gummi Skull giver from Oklahoma might be in attendance but I don't know the details on that so don't quote me.



Friday at The Moon the Red  100's are playing. They won the Best Blues Act this year at the DOMA's so they should be worth checking out.

Anytime this weekend you should go check out Magnolia at the Modern. Real quick disclaimer: I'm biased towards the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth because that's where I work, but for reals some cool stuff happens there. I'll just  let you know about it as soon as I find out. That being said in case you didn't know on the weekends we play movies from Magnolia pictures. We're currently one of the few places in Fort Worth to see independent movies. This week's movie looks especially good. It's Miranda July's newest movie. You may have seen her previous movie "Me and You and Everyone We Know" also she has this awesome photo story blog thingy ( I really need to learn descriptive words) that you should check out (yo check me out).  Here's the trailer for her movie showing this weekend and here are the showtimes.

 

On Sunday I totally wish I could go to the Texas State Veggie Fair. I'm not a vegetarian but totally dig Vegan/Veggie grub sometimes. Also Bravo, Max! is playing  and I've been wanting to see them. Here is the list of all the bands playing (hey look at me). Bravo, Max! plays at 3pm.

Ok I saved the most exciting news for last! Do you guys remember Fishbone! They were one the first Ska bands ever (p.s. oops they weren't very first. Check out the comments section for their accurate historical placement). They're going to be at Texas Theatre in Oakcliff on Tuesday at 7. They are doing a Q&A after the showing of the new documentary about them "Everyday Sunshine: The Story of Fishbone" Tickets are only 9 bucks whoa!

Here's Fishbone's biggest "hit" in case you're like "who is fishbone?" "what is ska?" .




All right, kids that's all I have time to wish I could go do this week. My goal is to try to post the full week every Wednesday and then on Thursday or Friday I will tell you about the awesomeness I did the previous week. Send me your sweet pictures or tell me about whatever you go do this week and maybe I'll talk about it in next Thursday or Friday's blog.




2 comments:

  1. Fishbone is actually 3rd Wave ska... The Specials, Madness, and the Beat are from the 2 Tone period or 2nd Wave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpQGjGvDGnk and the first wave or originators of the genre are artists like Prince Buster, the Skatallites, and Bob Marley actually... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZC6Ot1MLP0

    if you like that kind of music i highly recommend Trojan Records, the motown of West Indian Reggae/Ska music. they release amazing 3 disc compilations of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa complex. also that sounds awesome I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete