Friday, March 9, 2012

What I want to see at 35 Denton

First off let me say this post would not be possible without Denton lover and inhabitant @theneener who's blog and Spotify playlist allowed me easy access to hear every band that is playing. With that I was able to make a list of what I want to see this weekend. I only of course have listened to the bands so I have no idea what their stage presence is so hopefully it will match. My motto for the weekend is No Mellow Shit so while there are several great folky mellow bands playing that's not what I want to see (except what's on the main stage and the mellowness there will suffice). With all the beer and tacos and bacon wagon treats I intend to consume I need to rock out as much as possible to work of those calories.

Last night was the first night of the festival and my twitter feed imploded with #35Denton tweets. Obviously the festival is already a success. I couldn't go last night and can't go Saturday so I'm only giving you half the suggestions because I barely had time to listen for the days I am going.

Tonight everyone  and their mom is excited about the Mountain Goats because to put it quite frankly they are fucking weird but beautiful. I mean seriously the lyrics to "Damn these Vampires" are "God damn these bite marks Deep in my arteries Crawl 'til dawn On my hands and knees". Or click that link and read the beginning of their web page. So epic. They have one of the best Twitter accounts ever btw.


Once nine hits and everyone moves to the inside venues is when choices get tough. My first pick is Coves possibly because I like their cover art ( because I am shallow like that).



At the 10:15 slot I'm moving over to check out Peoplodian. They remind me of Stereolab but without all that damn frenchiness.

If you haven't seen Burning Hotels yet you must go for a major dance party at Hailey's.

11:30 I'm picking between Class Actress or The Blurries. Class Actress seems like a perfect fit with Burning Hotels.At that point if Thursday is a testament that club will be one in one out so good luck squeezing in there. The Blurries are more rock than sex wave so I'm looking forward to seeing them as well.

At 12:30 The dance party will continue at Hailey's with The Hood Internet or I can go rock out with The Boom  Bang but I really want to check out the quirky Ella Minnow. I mean the album is called Red Beard I have to go.

Sadly Saturday I am working ( because I need money for more bacon and beer on Sunday) which is unfortunate because I absolutely LOVE Best Coast although I've heard they are a bit lacking in the performance department. Atlas Sound recently had a very public freakout where they played My Sharona for an hour and many strange shenanigan's ensued so that could be quite the spectacle. ( not to be confused with the metal band playing later The Spectacle).

Here's the first of three clips or you can read this article all about it. 


Later on 10:30 is a grab bag of awesomeness between Sealion, Soviet, and Bad Sports. Then local favorites R2B2 and Air Review. The other bands are probably great but I didn't want to get depressed about missing them so you're on your own.

Sunday can't come soon enough because I am so stoked about Dum Dum Girls and Built to Spill. I like what I've heard of  to Thee Oh Sees as well who sound like and evil version of those boy bands from the sixties ( Like  The Zombies and The Turtles).

Dum Dum Girls. So. Hot.


Then I'm going go rock my face off at Video. Followed by The Mannequin Men ( because umm look at this album cover) .

I'll step things down a notch ( but not that far just that Video and Mannequin Men could go to 11) The Rassle.

With the five minutes I've had to listen to the final spots I would say I like The Pass who are along the lines of MGMT Phoenix type music but I might be all rocked out and want to break my mellow rule and see The O's

No matter where I go I know I'll have a flipping fantabulous time.  See you there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment