Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My 35 Denton Experience Day 1 (Friday)


1 a.m. hits Hailey's and I find myself dancing onstage along with 60 other people surrounding two Dj's in front of 200 more people. I'm thinking the club is at capacity. People who's energy faded after a long day of rocking the festival suddenly revived to join the ruckus. We're all in our second wind and it's not so much a wind as a typhoon of energy, sweat and joy.

But let's back up and start at the beginning. Four o clock couldn't come soon enough as that was Sarah and my goal time to leave but after rainboot shopping and a confusing gas tank problem we didn't get out until 5:30. The Burning Hotels happened to stop at the same gas station we did so we knew we would at least get there in time to see them. ( In theory) We anxiously crawled through traffic and arrived just in time to do that festival arrival chicken with your head cut off race to get your wristband, food, a beer say hi to all of your friends and find a closeish spot for the main stage. The Mountain Goats were the one act we were excited to  see on the outdoor stage and they did not disappoint. John Darnielle balanced jokes between his songs that sound like a more tongue-in-cheek stuck in a cabin instead of a boat version of the Decemberists. Sarah is a long time fan and she said they played all their usual favorites last plus an extra encore song. (Fun fact: It's quite an anomaly that I haven't heard them until recently since Sarah and I forged almost all of our taste in music together.) Check out my song of the week pick for one of the best songs. 

The Mountain Goats give the jumbo screen an up close and personal view


As the main stage closed we knew we should probably pick one venue to go to and stay there since on Thursday shows were all one in one out by 10. Turns out this was an excellent theory because as we approached Hailey's there was already a line to the end of the block. We missed the entire first band as we waited in line but I did get a chance to meet 35 Denton Mascot of 2013 nominee Noodles of Swashlabs and the Neener fame. 

We were barely through the door as I heard the beginning of "Beard" the Burning Hotels usual set opener. I danced and sang in the line as I waited for the poor lonely gal running the door to scan our ID's. Once inside the room was actually nicely open and good chunk of the crowd danced along as the boys played. The bands proclaimed crush, Jessie Frye, joined them onstage for a song. My usual front row trio buddies Sarah and Katie lamented that not everyone was dancing but that may have just been our pride because these were our boys from our town and Denton better enjoy it as much as we do!! In the end the set was amazing as usual. (I did miss Marley on bass) My feelings for Burning Hotels remind me of how I used to feel about Doosu way back when. No matter where or when they play I know I will love it because I love every song.

Like I said


Next up was Brooklyn band Class Actress. Hailey's was almost full by the end of Burning Hotels so I just skimmed the perimeters of the crowd as the lovely lead singer sang and played with her hair quite a bit. It was somewhat mellow but still danceable and the crowd was into it. She reminded me of Kate Bush or that one Berlin song " Metro" so I was also into it. 

@theneener summarizes what we're all thinking 

Then Midnight hit and the crowd at a club that was supposedly already at capacity somehow became more full. Hood Internet started up playing some M83 and a wave of glow sticks and people dancing began. (I'm still amazed when I see ravers dressed in the classic 90's style in public, but I guess any punk rocker is dressing in a style that is forty years old so ravers and glow sticks and big pants might be around forever.) My entire group of friends was now on their feet. My friend Drew ,who five minutes prior was almost asleep from a long day and work week, suddenly came to his feet. I was surprised he didn't bust out the caterpillar right there on the dance floor. At one point If you ever wanted to see two dudes Night at the Roxbury a girl to Whitney Houston you missed out. Around 12:30 I looked up from focusing on my dancing and my group of friends to see the stage filled with people. More than 30 excited concert goers were surrounding the two dudes that make up Hood Internet and more were heading up there. Of course I dragged a couple of friends  onstage at several points to join the party and take part in the experience. Right at 1:30 everything stopped too soon so we dragged our tired, sweaty selves out the door but with smiles on every face. 

This mashup FTW. This Indieverse article contains a video of the show so you can see the back of the stage as people celebrate the beginning of the freaking 35 Denton weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment