Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Songs of the Week 2012

So I decided to start a new Tuesday blog about what songs I am replaying each week. Much like a teenage girl obsessively calling KISS Fm (or the rest of the free world with any Adele song) I get completely obsessed with a song and listen to it over and over for a week or two. After a week I move on to another song. It might be a bit too telling in how not with it I am to let you  see what songs I'm into since for the most part they aren't new releases or anything. That's cool though. I more thought it would be interesting in a journal type aspect and that you crazy kids might find it interesting or some of you might see songs you haven't heard yet. ( OK Some of you will think "I've been listening to that song for months". Well aren't you glad we agree on something.) I originally was keeping this as one epic end of year post but now I've decided (and through the advice of my Gayle King: Sarah) I want to make this a weekly post. This post will catch you up with the year and then I'll start posting one song per week. I also made a Spotify playlist that I will update. Hope you like.

So here goes:
January-1-7 Drake featuring Lil Wayne "HYFR"
This song is totally different from everything else I list here but "They say love is in the air, so I hold my breath until my face turn purple" is probably one of the most genius lyrics in all of hip hop time (Ok at least of 2011). Also the chorus makes me laugh. (p.s. The videos available for some of these songs totally blow: like this one. They get increasingly better as I go through the list)




January 8-14 Surfer Blood  "I'm Not Ready"
Some of these I don't have an explanation for. They is what they is.

         
January 15-21 Cults "Abducted"/"Go Outside"
Both of these songs are rad and both videos are pretty creepy.



         



January 22-28 The Boom Boom Box "Wooden Sword"
This local band includes former members of Baboon (one of the best local bands ever),. They released this album pretty recently and I love it. They will be playing at Lola's on March 23 .


Oh man the classic Andrew pants grab is the best.

January 29-February 4 Florence and the Machines "Shake it Out"
I didn't just discover this song or anything. I'd heard it several times at this point but thought it was aite. Something clicked this week and I was obsessed with it. Well actually I was in a terrible mood for a day or two and I kept telling myself to shake it out.  
      

February 5-11 Crocodiles "Hearts of Love "
These guys are playing Brofest in Dallas on the 18th. btw. Brofest is jampacked with rad bands btw


February 12-18 Quiet Company "You, Me, & the Boatman"
This Austin band put out a new album in 2011 and either blew up big or just became a big obsession of mine. Either way they are headlining with The Boom Boom box  at Lola's AND I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!This song will get stuck in your head for days.


Plus look at em- they're so adorable and beardy.

February 19-25 Bad Cop "Daylight"


February 26-March 3 Gotye " Somebody that I used to Know"
I think everyone was into this song at this point. I spent this week trying to learn it for karaoke. Also, this was the week it finally came to Spotify so I was able to listen to it regularly because I am a terrible person and don't spend very much money on buying music ( but I do support them by going to shows and writing about them so that balances right?)



 Which bring us to THIS WEEK Woot

Chairlift "I Belong in Your Arms" These guys are also playing soon at Dada on April 16th.



So here is my spotify playlist if you want to listen to the songs that way instead of watching all of these videos. (Hey look at me)

No comments:

Post a Comment