Thursday, February 23, 2012

Top Picks for the week 2/23 through 2/28

Hey Peers,

This week is a little more sparse as far as what I know that's is going down. Tonight randomly is full of good shows and then I only know a few through the weekend.

Tonight in Dallas two of my favorite members of the old One Ton bands ,Peter Thomas and Chad Deatley, are playing La Grange with their newest bands White Elephant and Dove Hunter. Grab tickets here.

In Fort Worth this is the last Thursday night show at 8.0's featuring The Orbans and Whiskey Folk Ramblers.

Or at Lola's you can check out Austin band The Wheeler Brothers with Bravo Max!


Fast forward to Saturday where the best place to go will be the grand opening of Doc's Records. Doc's is easily one of the best record stores in Fort Worth and they recently moved from a small location on Montgomery to a large location on Camp Bowie. There is an excellent line-up including New Fumes, RTB2, Spooky Folk, and Mind Spiders. There should also be  free beer and food which is always the best, and all sales are 10% off that day. So epic!



That night Apache 5 is playing the Grotto for the Bravo Zulu CD release party.

Sunday I will obviously be watching the Oscars. If you are a fellow Academy Awards fanatic there are two top choices for places to party. The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth holds a big event for free. You can see the Oscars in the auditorium as well as the lobby where a cash bar and  food is available. It's fun to dress up in fancy clothes and walk the red carpet and get your picture taken by DFW.com. They also give away prizes like pretty sweet prizes too. The year I went I won a basket full of movies and video games and all types of swag.

Oh yea and there is a costume contest which you can participate in or just enjoy seeing


Also in Dallas Texas Theatre is showing the Oscars which is where I would go if I lived in D-town still. Drink specials all night at the bar and a pool for closest Oscar picks.

three 6 mafia yo


Tuesday you should definitely go to Kessler Theatre for an extraordinary event. The ex lead singer of YES (FUCKING YES GUYS!!!!!!!!!) ,one of the greatest prog rock bands of all time, Jon Anderson is playing a solo show. Tim Delaughter, of Polyphonic Spree and Tripping Daisy, is opening solo as well which sounds just unbelievably amazing because I'm pretty sure he never plays solo. The show is titled Storytellers so Anderson will most likely give some background on his songs. An intimate show with either one of these dudes should be quite interesting.

                                          Easily my favorite Yes song



That's all I know about for the week. Hopefully at some point this weekend I can post my Oscar predictions. ZOMG I love them I'm so excited. Plus I'm only two movies away from seeing all of the Best Picture nominees. So woooot. Ok love you forever for reading. TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment