Sunday, February 26, 2012

OSCAR PREDICTIONSSSS- In the nick of time

I'm assuming if you read this you probably follow me on Twitter or Facebook and therefore know my love for the Academy Awards. If not let me tell you: I love the Oscars. For the last three years I have either held a party or gone to a party to watch them. It is my favorite time of the year and they usually air around my birthday and one year on my birthday even so I generally assume the entire last week of February is my week. So with that being said here are some of my predictions. I didn't get to see every nominated movie but I did see every Best Picture nominated movie and therefore most of the other categories. 

Best Picture:

My Pick: Midnight in Paris. Midnight in Paris was easily one of my favorites of all the movies I've watched for this venture. Short and sweet and made you think about your life just a little bit. Plus it's about a dude who goes back in time to the Twenties and I'm probably one of a million people who if you ask what time period would you go back to would say the twenties ( or the late seventies in New York when punk started).  Hugo is a close second. wonderful story told beautifully.

What will probably win: The Artist. This story told in Black and white and only with a score about the silent movie days was brilliant. Hugo might win though just because it's such a feel good story and with past winners such as The King's Speech and Slumdog Millionaire the academy likes feel good movies

Actor in a Leading Role:

My Pick: Demian Bichir. This movie shook me up for a few days. It tells the store of an immigrant from Mexico simply trying to raise his son on his own. Loved it. 

What will probably win: George Clooney in the Descendants. I would be happy with this win as well. This is the the first time I have seen Clooney portray a character without the charm and confidence that has made him famous.  The Academy also tends to award best actor to someone who deserves to be awarded not only for a particular role but for their career. They reward big actors who break from their norm i.e. Denzel Washington in Training Day. Brad Pitt also broke from character to play someone who isn't hot but I think the Descendants was better than Moneyball.

Actress in a Leading Role:

My Pick: Michelle Williams in My Week with Marilyn. I just love her and Marilyn Monroe. I haven't even seen this movie so I can't give you an educated opinion.

Who will probably win: Meryl Streep The Iron Lady. My God can't she swim through her awards Scrooge Mcduck style. They just should hand them to her when they say "that's a wrap" in any movie she is in. 

Actor in a Supporting Role:

My Pick: Thomas Horn. Ok the kid from Extremely Loud Incredibly Close isn't even nominated but WHYYYYYYY. He was amazing. The entire movie was predominantly him ugh, Ok maybe there are some politics and parent waivers that are involved in being nominated but still. Grr

Ok Actual pick. Christopher Plummer in Beginners. Plummer plays a man who finally comes out of the closet after his wife dies. In a similar fashion to Clooney he doesn't utilize his usual debonair persona. I mainly would like for him to win because this was my favorite movie of all the movies I watched. Maybe it was my favorite because I've been in love with Ewen Mcgregor since I was 18. It was quirky and cute and I loved it.

What will probably win: Ya know this one's a total grab bag so i'm just going to guess Nick Nolte.

Actress in a Supporting Role:

My Pick: Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids or Jessica Chastain in The Help. I can't pick between the two. I've seen Bridesmaids about five times and it is usually like pulling teeth to make me watch a movie twice because I don't want to waste time when I could experience something new. So I loved McCarthy and her creativity in her role which was predominantly ad lib. Jessica Chastain was just adorable in The Help. She made the character even more loveable than in the book. Plus she needs some kind of reward for just busting out of nowhere this year and starring in five different movies including this and Tree of Life.

What will Probably win: Octavia Spencer The Help. Spencer balanced the comic aspect as well as the seriousness of her character. 

Cinematography:

My Pick: Hugo. The half animation half reality aspect made me want to visit Paris even more than Midnight in Paris

What will Probably win: The Artist


Best Director:

My Pick: Woody Allen. Hey he should get an award for making a universally likeable movie and letting someone portray the character he usually plays.

What will probably win: Woody Allen. He and Streep can get together and play dress up with all of their Oscars combined. When people get more than one Oscar they should start just give them accessories like an Oscar corvette or spa that you push the button on to make bubbles.


Ok so here's the important part if you are watching tonight: The Drinking Game

For every time your pick wins take a drink. 

If my pick wins take two drinks.

If my academy pick wins take a shot.

If someone gets cut off by the music take a shot.

If someone cries take a drink.

If someone tells a Mel Gibson joke finish your drink.

Ok people that's all I have time for. I have to get my house ready to watch this thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment