Friday, April 13, 2012

This Week Cray- 4/12-4/17

I'm completely overwhelmed by how much is going on this week. I don't even know where to start.


But I'll forge ahead somehow.

First the big stuff.

On Saturday in Fort Worth: Motha flipping Modern Til Midnight yo! So I work at the Modern in Fort Worth and this event comes along every year and is absolutely my most favorite event to work. The Modern stays open until Midnight for only 15 bucks you get to see 5 awesome bands, tour the galleries, and watch movies in the auditorium. Whoa. This year's band lineup is pretty legit: Skeleton Coast, The Angelus, Calhoun, Air Review, and School of Seven Bells. In the auditorium you can catch four short films from SXSW including Fort Worth's James Johnston's (co owner of Spiral Diner) film "Knife". Bands start at 7 movies at 8. Extra special bonus: I'm bartending out on the lawn where the bands play so you get to see me and I will give you many high fives.

School of Seven Bells:


Meanwhile down on Berry street the West Berry Block Party brings more rocking Friday and Saturday.  A ton of great local acts and some from Austin play such as : The Hannah Barbarians, Whiskey Folk Ramblers, Quaker City Night Hawks, My Wooden Leg, Mills & Co. Stella Rose, Mobley, Cleanup. Basically almost all of Fort Worth is playing somewhere this weekend. Check out the full line-up in here (p.s. the site is not logophile approved ).

The Dallas Independant Film Festival started Thursday and runs through the 22nd. The festival opened with Josh Radnor's (aka Ted Mosby on HIMYM) 2nd Directorial venture "Liberal Arts" which plays again next Friday. My twitter is aflutter with people excited about the showing of "Andrew Bird: Fever Year" ( this sentence is not intended to be punny at all btw). Here's Central Track's list of top ten movies to go see at DIFF so that will give you a better idea of what to see. There are a ton of other movies playing all week so you should at least be able to catch one.

Other events of note:
 Friday
  •  Fort Worth chimes in on the free outdoor shows with Friday on the Green in Magnolia Park or whatever the hell it's called. I'm stoked about The Cush and Mon Julien playing this month. I've seen two different openers listed so I'm not sure what's up with that. Somebody is opening. This is a family friendly event as far as I know.
  • Dove Hunter plays in Dallas at Foundry Bar
  • Frankie Rose ( ex Dum Dum Girl currently awesome girl) is playing Dada 
  • There's a Food Truck Rally in Deep Ellum so that should be rad. My Wooden Leg and Hares on the Mountain are playing.

Frankie Rose:
Saturday
  • Beeeeeer!!! There's a Beer Fest in Fair Park with a ton of breweries. Beer. The O's and Fish Fry Bingo are playing. Also, Beer.
  • The Bishop Arts Urban Street Bazaar returns. There should be more etsy like stuff there than at your typical Art bazaar so go buy cute stuff before Urban Outfitters steals the idea and triples the price. ( so the site for the event is pretty vague so here's the link to the Bishop Arts page which gives you directions etc.)
Chairlift is playing at Dada on Monday- I want to go to there so bad!!

Sleigh Bells is playing Granada Theater on Tuesday. It's sold out but I think Granada will post a contest on Twitter soon. ( I'm trying to share great ticket contests on my FB page so keep an eye on that)

There's probably more sweet stuff going on but I'm too busy selling Modern Til Midnight tickets right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment