Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Take Your Mom to see some Rock and Roll this week! 5/9-5/15

Who's ready to hear about some motha flipping festivities!!!!!

Ok actually this weeks  haps are predominately Music oriented.

Tonight starts off with a bang in Dallas or Fort Worth. Almost everyone and their mom is going to see Polyphonic Spree at Lola's. My hunch is most people just want to solve the mystery of how all 20+ memebers of Polyphonic are going to fit on that stage.  Even Quiet Company was stretched to the five corners of the thing just to give Taylor room and there are only five of them. Polyphonic shows are usually a magical event so definitely go to there.

I don't know who designed this poster but it is teh rad
Meanwhile in Dallas Tennis is playing at Dada which I referenced in my song of the week yesterday. Local act Bethan is opening which seems like the perfect fit.

This is the Dada link. Ima refer to shows at Dada for two more times so come back here for that ( copying and pasting all three times would actually have taken less time than typing this but I digress.) Here is a review of their show in Austin last night to give you an idea. It also includes a pretty awesome rant about cell phone picture taking etiquette.

Thursday in FW Backlot films is hosting a free screening of Spaceballs off of Foch Street.


Friday on the Green's second concert for the year is this week with The Hannah Barbarians, Quaker City Night Hawks, and the Will Callers. I was able to go to the one in April and enjoyed it quite a bit although it seemed the biggest advantage of the event is for parents because you get to let your kids run amok in general safety. I have kids so I'm pumped for this week.

After that The QCNH boys move on to Magnolia Motor Lounge for a live CD release party with Oil Boom and J Charles and the Trainrobbers. For only 10 bucks you get into the show and get a copy of the CD. ( or you can buy it at Friday on the Green for $5.)

Or you can get your metal fix at Lola's with Garuda and a bunch of other bands that I'm assuming are also metal but might not be. Man I sound like I know what I'm talking about don't I? Rock!

 In Dallas at Dada Datahowler (omg alliteration!) and  Burning Hotels open for Memoryhouse. Memoryhouse is pretty rad. Here's a video.



During the day on Saturday there is a big beerfest in Irving. So ya know beers and stuff. I feel like there is constantly either a food truck fest or a beer fest going on somewhere around here so I'm kind of over it at this point but I also always work Saturdays so maybe I'm just jelly.


That night in Fort Worth Madras, Great American Novel and Cleanup play the Cellar for free.

A bunch of Austin bands are playing the Wherehouse. ( I'm really running out of time at this point so that's all the info you get on that event.)

In Dallas also at Dada (Jesus H everything interesting is going on at Dada this week) you should go to The Ultra Violet Rock show which raises funds for research of Cystic Fibrosis. Several bands are playing starting at 7 with James Porter followed by Ryan Thomas Becker,The Oxen, Salim Nourallah & The Travolta's and Disposable Music. 

On Sunday from 10am to 4pm there is a bike festival at Gateway park where Rahr Brewery and Fred's cafe will provide the noms. The event page says live music but I couldn't find a name for any bands :/.  




That's all I have for this week ( which is plenty so geez stop pressuring me.) There were a few events that were supposed to be Mother's Day oriented but they all sounded so BORING!!!!!! Last year Lolaspalooza was happening and this year it's all seeing opera's and crap. I'm just going to ignore this being Mother's day and celebrate May 26th  by going to Homegrown. As for you well take your mom to see The Avengers or something ( Hey Mom if you're reading this let's make this happen ay) it will be much more fun than get brunch at some busy restaurant. Oh or Spiritualized at Granada Theatre on the 15th. Whoa.

P.S. If you signed up for the mailing list last week pleases sign up again. With the name change went all those sign ups :(. If you didn't sign up before: Hey you should sign up for the mailing list!

No comments:

Post a Comment