Friday, January 27, 2012

I want to go to all the things! Friday Jan 27- Sunday 29

Hey you guysss. So there's a lot of shows and stuff in general going on this weekend. It's cray. I mean what's so special about the last week in January?

Well anyhoo here are your choices

Oh so first of all all weekend in the Irving Convention center is one of my favorite events: Zest Fest. You pay like 15 bucks and can sample all kinds of awesome hot foods: salsa, marinades, sausages, etc. from the multiple vendor booths. It's swag city. ( Bring a bag to carry all your swag in y'all) So that's every day this weekend. ( side note this used to be in Will Roger's Convention Center so that's why I originally was pumped and wrote about it but now it's in Irving which is cool, I guess, if you live near there. This sidenote is long)

Friday:

I'm hopefully headed out to Denton because one of my fave bands, Mobley, is visiting Denton from Austin (if you read my top 12 list they were the first one) and is playing along with Skeleton Coast at Andy's Bar.

Also in Denton (this city is where it's at this weekend y'all) Seryn is playing at Dan's.

In Fort Worth, Texas Country band Eleven Hundred Springs is playing at White Elephant Saloon

Our favorite volatile ranter Lewis Black is performing at Bass Hall 


Saturday: Oh Lord it's insane. So many things!!!

I'll start off with Denton because one of my favorite bands to see live the psychobilly group The Flametrick Subs are playing at Hailey's.

The song most likely to get stuck in your head if you go:

                                            

Mobley is also playing in Fort Worth at Stay Wired

or you can go to the Wherehouse where (on of my faves from the Dallas Observer Music Awards last year) Sealion is playing along with the Cleanup and a bunch of other mother truckers (Tiger of Bengal and Tony Ferraro and the Satans of Soft Rock)

Sealion:

or you can head to the Aardvark where Holy Moly ( a Holy Moly show at the Aardvark NO WAY)  and Convoy and the Cattleman are playing

or you can go see hipster approved country crooner Dwight Yoakam (he's hipster approved right? I mean he's in enough independant movies to get some kind of hipster cred right?) at Billy Bob's.
Oh ANNND before you go about with your rocking out (omg poetryy) you should go by Gallery 414 and check out some Art. Saturday is teh reception for the show titled "lol, brb, A Survey of American Painters Age 29-32 in Zip Code 76107". The show includes the art of James Lassen, Devon Nowlan, and Michelle Brandley. Check out the Fort Worth Star Telegram article here. Did I mention idk how many Gallery openings you guys go to but FYI there's usually free beer or wine. It's the best.

One of James Lassen's pieces


ok moving on
In Dallas I highly recommend seeing Soviet at Doublewide along with Sundress. Click on that link to listen to and pay whatever price you want to download Soviet's album.


Sunday: 

I totally wish I could go to Lola's for a blast from late 90's pop punk band The Ataris. They're playing with a local popish punk band Perdition  who I've heard are good. Punk shows are always bouncy fun. Plus The Ataris write those cutie romantical songs that always made me fall for skater punks when I was in High School thinking they were romantic too. (I never found out because I never actually dated any of them womp womp)

Here's the my favorite Atari's song


And here's Perditon covering Death Cab for Cutie ( it really kicks in around the 45 second mark)



Ok people go do something awesome this weekend! See you next time

1 comment: